But hey! I enjoyed every single step of it! This one definitely made my day better :).
Here's my new and best attempt at making a Totoro themed Bento. I got so carried away that this time I made two Totoro boxes. Usually only my Senpai gets an O'Bento, while I eat it plain old :). Well not today :) This one was so easy to make that you might have a problem stopping making Makurokurosuke :D. Besides you get to see the results so soon that you assemble the rest with a big smile :)!
So here are some pictures with details ;). Thank you Anna for the inspiration!!
Total time: 2,5h
Difficulty: Moderate, Time demanding
- 2 cups of sushi rice
- 2 tbs of black sesame seeds, grounded
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 200gr Shitake Mushrooms
- 2 nori sheets
- some feta cheese, for eyes decoration
- fresh salad
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach
- 2 tbs of rice vinegar
- 4 tbs of soy sauce
- 1 tbs of sake
- 1 ts of sugar
- 8 tbs of rice vinegar
- pinch of salt and sugar
This is what I did...
- Boiled the rice in a rice cooker/steamer.
- When the rice was done I steamed the spinach on the top part of the steamer.
- Pan fried the chopped shitake mushrooms with the sauce on low heat, until the sauce was gone.
- Boiled the eggs and prepared all the eyes decorations out of nori and feta cheese.
- Seasoned the rice with the seasoning. Separated some and mixed it with the sesame.
- Assembled everything together :).
- For the eyes I used my new nori punch :) Wuuuhuuuu. Look how the eyeballs came out now \(^.^)/. The white was done with a thin slice of feta cheese. Not the best ingredient to stick on a nori sheet thou...
- I didn't have such a small punch for the eyeballs here, instead I used a very sharp U knife - also part of my new Bento accessories collection ;).
- Once Totoro was finished, the rest Just came along. Some tomatoes here, a whole shitake there, add some more Feta Cheese decorations and there you go! Itadakimasu!!!
|Makuro Kurosuke Onigiri|
Using a plastic wrap mold a small rice ball and cover it with 1/4 of a nori sheet.
I filled in my onigiri with shitake. :) Yummy....
|Quail Egg's mini Totoro|
Here's an easy task :)
Boil the egg, cut a V on the top, and place your eyes... Easy, is it not? :)
The body was done by mixing in some black sesame seeds.
The tummy is made of plain rice and all the rest is Nori decoration.
|His and hers :)|
Both Bento ready, now ruuuunnn....we are late for work :D
- Don't follow my lead and make this one in the morning :D try making some in advance, or else you might be late for work :D
- Try to fix all the pieces in place, so they don't get separated in the transport ;)